Friday, April 1, 2011

PAD #1: Stained Glass

From Robert Lee Brewer's blog on Writer's Digest. If you need writing prompts (ahem, Victor), visit his blog here: http://blog.writersdigest.com/poeticasides/

For today's prompt, write a "what got you here" poem. For instance, write a poem about a mode of transportation like your car, bike, horse, etc. Or write a poem about what "got you here" as a human being or writer (like what got you started writing, perhaps). Or write a poem about what brought you to this blog. Or whatever other interpretation you might have.

Stained Glass

In the conference room at City Hall Mayor DiLieto
greets our third grade class with lollipops, cookies
and juice. We sit quitely, listen to him tell us
about a work day filled with meetings, budgets and
bills. Darryl asks him about his favorite meal.
Tracy asks if he wears a suit every day, even
on the weekends. I want to ask him about the
broken elevator in Annette's building on Ashmun Street,
or tell him about the needle I found walking home
from school and ask what he was going to do about it.
The crystal words in my head feel like broken glass
in my throat. I keep choking on them and it hurts
too much to spit them out. If I can't sound smart,
I won't talk, so I don't. I stick a lollipop in my mouth,
and the edge of the blow pop cuts just as much
as the words I want to say. On the bus ride home
my eyes catch the glimmer of a stained glass window, 
and I stare at it long enough to see Jesus smiling
at me. I ask Him my words sound so ugly, and
tell Him I want to be the glass blower,
the one who makes art of the broken with
heat and light.

No comments: